Thursday, May 15, 2014

Review: Forever Odd by Dean Koontz

New Forever Odd Cover

When I bought this book with Odd Thomas, I had no idea what to expect.  I read the first book in two days, and when I picked up Forever Odd, I had to admit, I was slightly disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, this book was amazing--amazingly slow, that is.  Nothing really interesting started happening until about 100 pages into the book, but I was fairly glad I finished this book.

Forever Odd take place seven months after the events in Odd Thomas.  If you have no read the first book, I do not recommend continuing on with this review, as there is a minor spoiler from the first book.  This second installment to the series begins with Odd waking from a dream that he is going to die.  He is mourning the loss of his lover, Stormy, after she died in Odd Thomas.

The main conflict of this book is fairly simple, but that was one of my many complaints.  There was no twist, just some crazy psycho-chick that no one even knows who is trying to use Odd's best friend, Danny, to get to him.  She's obsessed with ghosts and the like, and wants to use Odd's gift to try and see ghosts, even though Odd can't help her.

When I say she is crazy, she's really crazy.  And Odd remains almost entirely calm during the entire book, which I think has more to do with the fact that he is not afraid to die, because then he'll finally get to see Stormy again.

Because this is a sequel, I feel as though Dean Koontz was trying to hard to make something different, but instead made it kind of annoying.  I do love the philosophical subplot in the book, and that's for the reader to find out.  The end also shocked me, and I can't wait to find out exactly how that happened.  Overall, I recommend Forever Odd to anyone who wants to continue the series.  If you wish to have Odd Thomas be the end, do stop there, as it was originally meant to be a standalone.  I will be continuing this series all the way, and you can expect more reviews to come.

Forever Odd:   5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment