Thursday, May 15, 2014

Review: Impulse by Ellen Hopkins





Ellen Hopkins is an author that people may never forget.  When you read a book by her, your initial instinct is probably along the lines of, "Oh my God,"  or "I can't believe that just happened."   Written in the poetic style of free verse, Hopkins seems to make you want to laugh, cringe, and most of all, cry.

Impulse has been my all time favorite book by Hopkins since I read it.  The story follows three teenagers:  Conner, an egotistical guy who tried to kill himself with a gun to the chest;  Vanessa, a young bipolar victim who has suffered many losses and takes her negative emotions to the touch of a blade; and Tony, a drug-addicted homosexual male who overdoses on some pills.  Three lives, all connected together once they meet in Aspen Springs, a psychiatric hospital for the mentally ill.

This book was not what I expected.  I knew it was about suicide, which was partially why I wanted to read it, but I wanted to cry all throughout the book.  Each character's lives were so detailed and so full of heartache.

Conner attempted suicide after getting caught having a relationship with one of his teachers.  As you discover very early on, his family is not very supportive of him and only care about their reputation.  No wonder he would have looked elsewhere for the love that his own parents wouldn't even give him.  So with one almost fatal decision, he managed to survive and finds solace in Vanessa.

Vanessa's mother was bipolar, causing her a lot more pain than most children should receive.  When she finally had enough, she tried to end it by cutting herself and leaving herself to die in the tub, only for her brother to find her.

And then Tony, who spent a lot of time in jail, having sex with men and doing drugs.  One day, it almost came to an end when he overdosed.

I honestly believe these characters went through a lot of things that no child should ever have to go through alone.  They had no one in their lives until they found each other, and it led them to make the choice they had made:  to end it all.

I recommend this book to anyone who has ever felt alone before.  To anyone who ever felt like their life was not worth living.  To anyone looking to see if their the only ones in the world, because the truth is, you aren't.  And this book taught me that.  I give this book 5 stars all the way.

2 comments:

  1. Aw.... thanks, Alec. The book speaks to many. Glad you found it, and hope it continues to bring peace to those experiencing a similar place in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book has been my all-time favorite by you, though the others all come very close. I have read IMPULSE at least three times and it brings me back to that place I was, but it teaches me how to push through it. It's a real inspiration.

      Delete