Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Mr. Murder: Book Review

This is the copy I read, but it has multiple covers.

Three words.

What.  The.  Hell.

When I first bought this book, I was really excited to read it and found the concept interesting, but I have to say this was the worst--and most painfully boring and long--Dean Koontz book I've ever read.  This man serious must have made it his goal to drag out the plot as long as humanly possible to read the 415 page-mark, and for some God-forbidden reason, it was published.  Even after all of the edits, it still was published and even became a TV movie.

The book is about a man named Martin Stillwater, and author who apparently became labeled as "Mr. Murder" due to the crime settings he has in his books.  Congratulations, Mr. Murder.  Very creative.  At the same time as this, there is a killer out there with major amnesia who just so happens to look exactly like Martin.  The entire time I really wanted it to be about a guy with a split personality, but it was only about 50 pages in that I realized this book was not about anything fun. It was clones.

So let me get this straight:  a killer who happens to look exactly like Martin Stillwater is never found.  Which means that everyone has to be completely stupid.  And if they did see him, someone would recognize the killer as Martin, but no.  Martin never gets accused of these murders.  The title Mr. Murder doesn't even have a big part to do with the book.

So through some psychic magnetism, that Dean Koontz later uses in the Odd Thomas series (which I love), the killer finds Martin's house and thinks that he's Martin and that Martin stole his life. 

And that's it.

The whole other 300 pages are them running from this guy and nothing wonderful or exciting even happens.  Then at the end, there isn't a really good explanation as to who this killer is, other than that his name is Alfie, he was programmed to not know anything or have any emotion, yet he somehow miraculously does.  The end.

Dean Koontz, I must say, this is the worst book I have read by you so far.  One star?  How about no stars?  That would be a better suited rating for this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment